Frequently Asked Questions About TSCL & The Social Security Notch Issue

Frequently Asked Questions About TSCL & The Social Security Notch Issue

What is TSCL?

TSCL (TREA Senior Citizens League) consists of vocally active senior citizens concerned about the protection of their Social Security, Medicare, and veteran or military retiree benefits. TSCL was first established as a special project of The Retired Enlisted Association (TREA). On January 1, 1995, TSCL became an independent 501[c][4] citizens' action organization.

Does TSCL receive government funding?

Unlike many other organizations TSCL accepts no government funding -- this leaves us free to truly represent the interests of supporters like you.

What if I make a donation and then become dissatisfied with TSCL?

TSCL offers its supporters an unconditional refund of their most recent donation if they are dissatisfied with our position or performance.

How many members does TSCL have?

There are 1,313,935 active members/supporters.

What is the $5,000 Lump-Sum Settlement?

TSCL originally made this proposal with the massive support of our members. It is designed to provide fair compensation for the lower benefits Notch Victims receive. It has now been introduced as Bills in Congress. If passed, it will provide a Settlement payment of $5,000 to each living Notch Victim or their beneficiary spouse.

What is a surviving beneficiary spouse?

A surviving beneficiary spouse is one who collects Social Security benefits not from their own account, but from the account of his or her deceased spouse. To find out more about Notch Reform benefits for surviving beneficiaries, click here: What Happens to Benefit Payments When Your Spouse is Deceased?

What is the range of the Notch years?

The Notch years are 1917 through 1926, but this is subject to some controversy. To read more detail, click here: What is the "Notch"?

What are the Notch Reform bills that are in the current Congress?

Please visit our Notch Reform Section for the most up-to-date information.

How do I go about writing my Congressman and Senators?

Use the Contact Congress feature on the Home page of this site to obtain the names, addresses and other information on your Congressional delegation. You can even e-mail directly and sign our on-line petition in this full featured legislative action center. Click Guide to Contacting Congress to go to this section now.

What is the current status of the Notch issue?

Please visit our Notch Reform Section for the most up-to-date information.

How do I go about contacting the Social Security Administration?

The toll free information number is 1-800-772-1213 and operates from 7 am to 7 pm, Monday through Friday. To report Social Security fraud, call 1-800-269-0271. Also, you can look at the Social Security Administration Web Site.

How can I get in contact with Medicare?

The Medicare Hotline number is 1-800-633-4227. The number to report Medicare fraud is 1-800-447-8477. You may also wish to look at their web site.

Is there an information number for the Veterans Administration?

The toll free number for the VA Hotline is 1-800-827-1000.

If I received the $5,000 Lump-Sum Settlement, would I then lose my monthly Social Security check? Would the amount of the check be raised to the level that it should have been all along?

Should Congress approve the $5,000 Lump-Sum Settlement, you would continue to receive your monthly Social Security benefit without any adjustment. However, as the legislation is written, you will have a choice of annual additional lump-sum payments OR an increased monthly check.

We understand that our proposal may not be the most perfect solution to the injustice; however, it stands a much better chance of getting passed in Congress and is the best possible solution we know of.

There seems to be a great disagreement among supporters of Notch reform over who is truly a Notch Victim. What are the facts?

Some want legislation to correct inequities for those born from 1917 through 1921, while others believe Notch reform must include the years through 1926. It is important to remember that hundreds of our elected officials agree that there is a Notch, and that Notch Victims deserve justice. However, some interpret the complicated rules affecting Social Security differently from others. We respect and continue to support all Members of Congress who are courageous enough to advocate Notch Reform of any sort. To read more on the Notch, click here: What is the "Notch"?

How can I get involved/help out?

Whenever possible, share your views with your elected officials. It is important that they are made aware of how their constituents feel. Remember, you are the one who has control over their job security. You could either call or write your Members of Congress. You can find your member of Congress, as well as their address and phone number, through the Guide to Contacting Congress feature on the Home page of this web site.