The 113th Congress: A New Opportunity for TSCL
By Jessie Gibbons, Legislative Analyst
After a much-anticipated election and an action-packed lame-duck session, the 113th Congress has officially begun and The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) is gearing up for a busy year. Although the November election did not drastically alter the makeup on Capitol Hill, TSCL is expecting many new successes and challenges to arise. With the election finally behind them, lawmakers are able to focus on some of the complex policy issues that sit high on their agendas, like deficit reduction, immigration reform, and comprehensive tax reform.
As with the start of any new Congress, TSCL is encouraging Senators and Representatives to reintroduce and co-sponsor key legislation for seniors, like the Consumer Price Index for Elderly Consumers Act, the Notch Fairness Act, the No Social Security for Illegal Immigrants Act, and the Social Security Fairness Act. In addition, with comprehensive Social Security and Medicare reform on the minds of many deficit hawks, TSCL is working diligently to prevent harmful cuts for beneficiaries.
TSCL’s legislative agenda for the next two years includes the following issues, among others:
- Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustment – Ensuring for a fair, accurate, and guaranteed COLA.
- Social Security Notch Reform – Working towards benefit equality for older Americans.
- Totalization Agreement with Mexico – Preventing an unnecessary and unspecified drain on the Social Security Trust Fund.
- Protection of the Social Security Trust Fund – Ensuring that the program’s assets are locked out of the general budget.
- Prevention of Fraud, Waste, and Abuse – Eliminating inefficiencies within Social Security and Medicare.
- Prescription Drug Re-Importation – Making safe, secure re-importation a reality.
- Social Security Reform – Extending the program’s solvency without enacting harmful cuts.
- Medicare Reform – Protecting seniors from sudden and harsh changes to the program.
TSCL’s all-volunteer Board of Trustees and legislative team – including former Congressman David Funderburk and Mrs. Betty Funderburk – look forward to working with both new and veteran lawmakers on the issues that are important to senior citizens, like those mentioned above. We will work tirelessly in the 113th Congress to ensure that seniors receive the retirement security they have earned and deserve.
More information available on our website:
You can also sign a petition to your Members of Congress, find contact information for your Senators and Representatives, and stay updated with the latest news on Capitol Hill.
If you are interested in helping TSCL make the most of the 113th Congress, give us a call at 800-333-TSCL to help us start a local chapter or plan a town hall meeting in your area.