How TSCL Is Working For Older Americans
By Jessie Gibbons, Senior Policy Analyst
After November’s highly anticipated election and an active “lame duck” session on Capitol Hill, the 115th Congress has officially begun and The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) is gearing up for another busy year. With several lawmakers on both sides of the aisle vowing to seriously consider Social Security reforms, TSCL is working diligently to prevent harmful cuts that would impact your benefits. In addition, with many prescription drug costs soaring higher than ever before, TSCL is advocating for common-sense legislation that would improve access to affordable, life-saving medicines for older Americans.
As with the start of any new Congress, TSCL is encouraging Senators and Representatives to reintroduce key legislation, like the Consumer Price Index for Elderly Consumers Act, the Prescription Drug Affordability Act, the Social Security Expansion Act, and the Notch Fairness Act. In addition, our legislative team is working hard to build support on Capitol Hill for comprehensive reform packages that would strengthen and modernize the Social Security and Medicare programs.
TSCL’s legislative agenda for the 115th Congress includes the following issues, among many others:
- Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustment – Ensuring a fair and accurate COLA that reflects the inflation older Americans actually experience.
- Social Security Reform – Strengthening the financing of the program responsibly, without harsh benefit cuts for current or future enrollees.
- Medicare Reform – Promoting high-quality medical care and protecting beneficiaries from changes that would increase out-of-pocket spending.
- Prescription Drug Affordability – Reducing the skyrocketing costs of prescription drugs through comprehensive Medicare Part D reforms.
- Social Security Notch Reform – Working towards benefit equality for victims of the Social Security Notch.
- Immigration Reform – Preventing a drain on the Social Security Trust Fund by closing a loophole that pays Social Security benefits based on illegal work.
- Affordable Care Act – Monitoring the continued implementation of the law as it affects older Americans.
- Prevention of Fraud, Waste, and Abuse – Ensuring that scarce Medicare and Social Security dollars are spent properly.
- Social Security Disability Insurance Reform – Proposing fair and innovative solutions that would improve the financing of the program and prevent a looming benefit cut for enrollees.
TSCL’s all-volunteer Board of Trustees and legislative team look forward to working with both new and veteran lawmakers this year on the issues that matter the most to our members and supporters. Throughout the 115th Congress, we will work tirelessly to ensure that Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries receive the retirement security they have earned and deserve.
For more information about TSCL’s legislative agenda for the 115th Congress, view Legislative Agenda and Track Bills recently introduced in the House and Senate.